Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Somebody send me a telegram. Does America still exist?

^^ Behold, lemons straight from a tree. I zested and juiced them all by my lonesome and then baked them into a delicious glazed pound cake.

^^ There is a Zumba class in the area (kind of not really) and they were having an 80's night. So we splattered toothpaste on our mirror and then took a picture. Just kidding, the toothpaste was already there. We're just disgusting.

Why, you might ask, is my up keep on this blog so spectacularly consistent? Because, fellow readers, I have no other activities to occupy my time. NONE WHATSOEVER.

I’m becoming increasingly discouraged as I’ve handed out at least 15 resumes (yes I have also followed up via phone, don’t cross me) and to no avail. It has, I understand, only been almost three weeks. But I feel a sense of rush because that’s the only thing for me to do here. Really. I haven’t got any money to fly myself to some remote landmark of Australia, or the requirements to rent a car (or the mental stability to drive on the left side of the road through OH MY GOODNESS so many roundabouts) and drive The Great Ocean Road and lounge on beaches. Also, although it’s not as terrible as ours, we are in the middle of winter, so beaches are still quite chilly.

Am I complaining too much? I apologize. Lounging around all day everyday really takes a toll on your sanity and ability to see the big picture.

I read about box jellyfish, the most deadly sea creature, if not overall creature, on this planet. And they live exclusively in Australia, more so the North end than the South end, we’re on the south end (PRAISE THE HEAVENS), but nonetheless it made me upset. Not that I had ever planned to set foot in more than 6 inches of ocean water, but as a job-searching, single adult who misses home, box jelly fish can really make your blood boil.

On the bright side of things, my mom obtained a jumble of lemons, fresh from someone’s backyard tree, and I made a lemon-glazed pound cake. (Before 12 noon, might I add.) The recipe stated that it was even more delicious the second day, but we Parcell’s hardly know what second day treats taste like. We know what boiling hot fudge cake tastes like, fresh chocolate chip cookies, the toils of trying to scoop concrete-like ice cream, and burning our tongues on steaming brownies. But sadly, we will never know the delicacy of lemon pound cake on its second day.

One of Leo’s friends remarked the other day, as we were walking back from the bus stop, returning from the city, that he doesn’t like Melbourne because the weather is so unpredictable. It is then that I realized we very well may have moved to the Utah of Australia. As would happen to an escapade of the Parcell family.

August 24th is the arrival of our in-home wifi, and what a welcome luxury that will be. I need the comfort of Netflix, more importantly Friends.

I set up a bank account the other day, in hopes that would send a hint to the Universe that I’d like to have a need for a bank account, and I’m almost sad I won’t be getting a credit card because it comes in pink. That would make things good and better.

I miss you guys. For serious.


MP

1 comment:

  1. I have never before commented on a blog but since I don't know how to send a telegram I figured I could try it out. (It's just as foreign in my world, believe me.) I love your blog and your photos. You make me smile and are delightful in every way. Keep the posts coming, please...even after Netflix reenters your life. (Side note: I had a lemon tree in my Cali front yard as a girl. My mom used to grind them down the disposal to make the kitchen smell good. Yesterday I bought one for 50 cents. Sigh.) Give Henry a little extra love from me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete