Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Australian make-up artists are unwelcoming

^^ It is real. It was like a food court, but with make-up.

^^ Silly, silly. It's PARcell. I walked up and down the street perpendicular to it, Errol Street, about 478 times because I couldn't find 59 Errol Street which evidently does not exist.

^^ I was in North Melbourne and decided to wander onto the University of Melbourne's campus. It was an old-time fantasy. Old brick buildings with beautifully sculptured archways leading to courtyards. Also a cousin of Big Ben's. 

I feel terrible for dragging you on a leash of misery for the past few posts, so here is my apology in the form of a list of things I am cheerful about.

1. Henry is in love with a TV show, Fireman Sam, and I will frequently hear him scream, "I FIRE SAM. I FIRE SAM." at random hours of the day, from any corner of the house.

2. My brother Leo and my mom brought books with them, our personal library now contains three books, BUT, three books that I had never read, and three books that I thoroughly enjoyed.
- In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
- Looking For Alaska by John Green
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt (the most fantastic, well-written, consistently enthralling novel I have ever read.)

3. I have an inside joke with my siblings, which is, "Leo smokes weed." Also, "Uhhhh no." I don't think I've ever had an inside joke with my siblings.

4. There is a city just 30 minutes away that is everything I've ever dreamed a downtown city would be. And I can visit, really, whenever I please.

5. The other night my family delivered cookies to one of the families in the ward, as a thank you, because they have given us a couch and SO MANY groceries we couldn't find a place for them all, and we cam back with cookies, meat pies, and other goodies. Aussie Mormons are totally the bomb.

6. WE HAVE WIFI IN OUR HOUSE.

7. Since we are at a very low elevation, it is easier to run here due to the air. Sure, I've yet to test that out personally, but my parents have run so I'm halfway there. And I haven't even had to leave my bed.

8. I have my own room and, courtesy of my mom, a full length mirror with which I can do my hair and makeup, in my own make shift, bathroom sanctuary, and listen to my music.

9. We have a really cool shower head and I really like it. I'm being completely serious.

10. Girl power and sisterhood. What I would do without words of comfort coming from such darling people back home, I do not know. We just look out for each other, you know? Really everyone just looks out for me and I say, "Yeah, someday I'll pay you back. I owe ya one." Then I fail miserably at repaying all of my friends for what lovely people they are. I apologize. I love you all, really.

I went back to the city today to deliver resumes to unfamiliar addresses in unfamiliar parts of town. Man was that an adventure. I walked too much and too many of the places, I suppose, do not exist. I do not know who was in charge of naming the streets, but at some point they must had forgotten the necessity of differentiating the streets with more than simply, Bourke Street and Little Bourke Street. And Collins Street and Little Collins Street. Honestly, how is a severely confused American supposed to get anywhere?

The up side to all of this is that I happened upon two identical shops, David Jones and Myer, that both house every brand of high end make up you could ever imagine. Chanel, Dior, MAC, Bobbi Brown, Este Lauder, Giorgio Armani, Clinique, the whole lot. (They're so prestigious, they must be italicized.) As well as Australian brands, and probably American brands I am simply unfamiliar with, I'd never heard of. It was floor to ceiling white granite, illuminated with bright lights, and I could think of no greater paradise. I was hardly welcome in the place, what with my chipped toe nail polish and drugstore make up products, heaven forbid, but I'll happily brush off the disgusted looks I get to go back and gush over the expensive eye shadows and over priced foundations. What a dream.

The hunt for employment goes on, but everyday I try, with much success if I'm not stubborn, to recognize the interesting new environment I get to experience in all it's glory and mystery. 

Australia, I will learn to love you easily. Just tell me where I can grab free samples of Laura Mercier and we'll be such great friends.

MP

No comments:

Post a Comment