Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Never fear, I found Dr. Pepper

^^ My bathroom/my room. All to myself. It's lovely. 

^^ Cabbages the size of basketballs. WOW. Their veggies/fruit market has any and everything imaginable. INCLUDING PLUMS THAT I WANT SO BADLY. But they're 14 dollars a kilogram or Australia gram or some gram and I guess they're expensive.

The weather is changing from winter to spring to summer, and it’s very sensitive to change. One minute we’ve got wind that’s sole purpose is to blow your socks off, literally, and the next minute the clouds are rolling softly across a beautiful blue sky. It’s worse that the temperamental wonder we call Utah. But it is lovely.

Last night our family took a short 20 minute drive to the beach (20 MINUTES TO THE BEACH EAT THAT UTAH FREAKS) (I’m totally just being serious) and poked around Altona beach.

It was gorgeous.

It was also freezing. Their dead of winter is comparable to our early spring. Just with a sh*zload of wind. But the water was so magnificently clear and the sunset was jaw dropping. I didn’t take a picture because I’d forgotten my jacket and I was using Henry as warmth slash as a wind-breaker lovingly holding Henry as he was shivering in his own coat. But do not fret, my darlings, because there will be many more a day that I’ll visit Altona beach, snack at their nearby fish and chips shop and gallop across (shallow) waves collecting sea shells, snapping photos of the sunsets, and avoiding dangerous ocean life.

To look around and see the sky go forever, never colliding with large mountains or hills, still confuses me. Mostly because I have absolutely no way of knowing where in the world I am because who knows which way is North. Where’s the Y on the mountain that’s not there? HELP.

I’ve tried to keep track of where the sun rises from (because new and improved Australia Madeline now wakes up at the crack of dawn, somehow without her own knowledge or consent) but it seems to rise from different places every day. I think Australia spins. THIS PLACE IS OFF ITS ROCKER. First, it is home to the most dangerous and venomous creatures known to this planet, and second, the streets are only named and not numbered so I never know which way I went or am going or will end up or have to be been there over here so lost.

And yet, there are sweet spots. Because. I found. The one. The only. (actually there are quite a few) DR. PEPPER. I walked with Henry down to a local shop that is about a block and half from our home and low and behold … it stands strong and proud, the quivering Coke products surrounding it recognize their worthlessness as they cower in embarrassment and illuminate the golden idol of soft drinks. I started to vigorously fill every open space of my cart and the cart next to me with the delicious treat, but then I realized I was being over zealous and the owner of who’s cart I was filling would probably be angry with me. So I conceded to purchasing one. And it was dee-licious.

The days go on and I remain job-less. I’ll trek out again tomorrow and hope for the best. I’ve devised a plan to show up to an office, dressed and ready to go, and announce I am now working there and will expect to be paid. That’s probably my best option as of now.

Wish me luck.

MP

No comments:

Post a Comment