Thursday, September 3, 2015

I'm crediting my good fortune to the band

^^ Dan Reynolds, everyone. He's a singer.

^^ The colors remind me of a fruit roll-up. Just ... food for thought.

^^ On our way up. Not a busy night on the Metro.

^^ I thought of Scotland. Then I wanted to go there.

^^ Every now and then I find quietly beautiful scenes in the midst of a bustling city.

I would explain to you the magnificence of the concert, but I could not possibly fit it into words. It was absolutely amazing. Everything I needed.

The Margaret Court Arena, where it was held, seats only 7500 people, so even though we were in the highest stands, we were still relatively close. Just a few minutes before the show starts, a lady comes up to our seats and says she's got tickets to go sit down in the front.

WHAT IS THAT YOU SAY.

So my dad grabs them, (she said we could have them. she was giving them away. not just telling us she had close seats and then we stole them. none of that.) we walk confidently down to our new seats in 2P, and from then on I was in my own paradise. I could feel the music, literally. The concert was reminiscent of home AND I got to hear them play their new single 'Roots' for the first time live. It was pure bliss, I tell you. So much happy.

Yesterday I braved the streets of the city once again and plowed my way through eight different dental offices strewn around Carlton and Fitzroy. I'd tried my luck at trams and buses, but was unable to track down a tram to two certain offices that happened to be a 20 minutes walk from where I was. Bleh. I really should wear my running shoes, all the walking practically destroys my ankles. *sigh* Kids. They never learn.

I delivered a resume to one of the creepiest looking hospital buildings I've ever laid eyes on. A very tall, old brick building with creaky, broken windows and old AC units sticking out of some of them, even ominous shadows suggesting scenes from your worst nightmare. So, against my better judgement and ignoring the voices in my head screaming, "You will probably most definitely die all of the deaths if you go into this place", I made my way to the third floor and handed my papers to a cheerful man who said "No worries" and "Cheers" a lot more than I thought you could in a single, short conversation.

After walking the wrong way, turning my phone upside down, sideways and inside out attempting to read my Maps app, I found my way to Fitzroy Dental (difficultly too because the door on the outside of the building matched the brick) which was down a narrow hallway, covered on the floor with one of those rugs that all grandma's have. (The red ones with the weird, paisley-ish print and tasseled edges. You know what I'm thinking of? No? That's fine.)

They were playing Ellen on a TV in the corner and my eyes became glued to it because no one was in the reception area to recept me. So then someone came out too fast and I had to try and find some dental related brochure to convince them I'd been looking at all along. It worked because they took my resume.

HA. Just kidding, that means nothing, everyone takes my resume and then they say, "We're not hiring but, you never know!" And then I chuckle half heartedly with them and wish I could stab myself with a million toothpicks because walking all around town for hours and having everyone say the same thing gets REAL old and frustrating.

BUT BUT BUT BUTT. After walking another hour and locating the addresses to three other offices that apparently no longer exist, and finding Michael's Patisserie and ordering a delicious salami and pesto sandwich, AND sitting on the steps of this super fancy H&M and listening to some odd street musician, and recognizing the time was ticking by and I had to catch a train leaving in 10 minutes (isn't that totally rad that I have to "catch trains" now?) I got home and TWO offices had called me.

Fitzroy and St. Vincents. Both of which I had to walk 20 excruciating minutes to find. HARD WORK PAYS OF KIDS AND THATS WHY YOU DON'T SMOKE.

So now Madeline has an interview on Monday and a job starting next Saturday, and all the Saturdays to come. A JOB. They didn't even want to waste a trial run (which is fantastic because last time I had a trial run they didn't hire me), I'm just going to start working. WHAT. Hopefully I don't get fired. That'd be embarrassing.

K well that was long.

MP

No comments:

Post a Comment